Talk to your Obstetrician

I had my 28 week check up with my primary OB. Baby is doing well, measuring at 28 weeks. Heart Rate is 150 BPM. She says according to Dr Al-Malt baby is doing wonderful. Growing like he's supposed to. I've gained 6 lbs in total since the beginning of the pregnancy. She said its on the low side but given the situation low gain is better than weight loss, so we'll take it. I told her I eat when I can, when I have an appetite and when I can't eat I force myself to have a Boost shake. By the way, the chocolate Boost shakes takes like liquid vitamins, it's not appetizing at all. So if you have a better suggestion, let me know.

After my visit was complete I asked the doctor, What are you doing to help nursing mothers distinguish between a clogged duct (which is what I thought I had originally) and a lump? She said all you have to do is ask for an ultrasound of the breast. They will do a physical exam of the breasts. This is where you lay on your back and they ash around with their fingertips. It's not painful at all, not usually. They'll let you know if they find anything else suspicious such as fibrous tissue, lumps, or cysts, etc. They make a note of it and write you a referral for an ultrasound & mammogram if findings suggest a mammo to be helpful. 

This is essentially how I found out that I had cancer. I told my PCP (primary care physician) that I had a mass and was concerned. He said "oh it's probably a clogged duct or cyst due to pregnancy & lactation." 
I told my OB the same thing & told her what the PCP said and that's when she sent me for the ultrasound. 

All you have to do is advocate for yourself. Talk to your doctor, if you're not happy with that explanation seek another doctor's opinion. Remember, they work for you. They are there to help you. I understand talking about your body may be awkward but it can literally save your life! 

If it's just a clogged duct, no harm. See KellyMom article for how to help alleviate it. 

I also spoke to a La Leche League leader friend of mine after talking to my OB. She agreed that women can be shy about talking about our personal health, especially with our OB. But I urge you to be open, talk about it. Your doctor isn't there to judge you. It's not a stupid question. They are there to help you and answer all the questions. Another wonderful resource is your local La Leche League group. The leaders & other members are a wealth of information, tips and advice to help you along you nursing journey. ♥

Important Resources:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leading up to diagnosis

Chemo Cycle 3