Leading up to diagnosis

I felt a lump in my breast a few months ago. I showed my husband, he freaked out told me to get it checked out. I blew him off, I assumed it was just a clogged duct from nursing Liam. Liam is my 13 month old son.
About a month after feeling this lump and it not going away we really started to get concerned. I called my Primary Care Physician (PCP). I went to that appointment the following week.
8/30/16 - We did a full physical exam. This was when I found out I was pregnant with baby #3. Surprise!
The Dr told me that the lump was probably just some fibrous tissue or a cysts from pregnancy or nursing. "It could be a number of things. Cancer at your age is unlikely" he said. So with the pregnancy diagnosed I called my OBGYN (Loch Haven) and scheduled that appointment, knowing they too would do a physical.
10/04/16 - I had the appointment with Kathleen, a midwife at Loch Haven. I told her about my concerns with my left breast. She did the physical, went through my medical history (which aside from knee surgery and 2 c-sections there's nothing). She asked me about my family medical history and here is where it gets thick. My mom was diagnosed with lymphatic breast cancer at 44. My paternal aunt had breast cancer in her late 30s (no idea what her diagnosis was). My great grandmother had breast cancer. My grandfather had pancreatic cancer. Seriously, I come from a long line of unlucky bastards and shitty genetics.
Kathleen understood how worrisome this was for me and said that the benefits of having imaging done outweighed the risks. She referred me to Florida Radiology imaging, right downstairs from their office. She did a quick dating ultrasound to verify my due date. I was 11 weeks pregnant.
10/10/16 - I had an 8:30 am appointment at FRi in Princeton. They took me back about 9am, after filling out all the paperwork. My cousin Jessica watched the boys, along with her son and our cousin Ethan. Poor Jessica was left alone with 4 kids 4 years and under. I was shaking so bad, I don't know if it was because I was cold or just nervous as hell. Behind the door was another waiting room labeled "women's waiting area". There were 3 other ladies in there waiting to be seen for one thing or another. All over over 45 years old. I felt out of place. The nurse directed me to a changing room with lockers, "undress from the waist up, robe opens to the front". I put on this washed out pink shirt/robe. I took a photo and at that point I realized "Pink is so not my color."
This awful gown. It's not my color.

 I look sickly and washed out. Ugh. Just a few moments after I changed another nurse came to get me, to walk me to the ultrasound room. They had in my file that I was pregnant so they started with the ultrasound. The areas of concern was the lump at 5 o'clock that I felt and a smaller one at 2 o'clock that ultrasound tech found. She also scanned the lymph nodes and noticed one was slightly enlarged.
"Area Of Concern" This is the large mass.
She sent the images to the Dr who was reviewing them in the other room. Moments later the Dr came in told me she was concerned with the shapes of the masses and recommended the mammogram. I reminded her that I was pregnant. She said she's already spoken to my OB and it's been decided that the mammogram would be best and they'd use the lead aprons and blanket. From the chest down I was draped in lead. This stuff was heavy. The technician told me that patients describe the pain of mammograms to be less than childbirth. This wasn't reassuring to me considering I didn't hurt with childbirth. I was numb from the chest down. So prepare for squeeze #1, top to bottom view. This was pretty painful. Squeeze #2, the side to side view hurt the worst. She did this for both breast. Luckily, the right breast was completely clear. Mammogram confirmed that the left needed to be biopsied. That appointment was scheduled for 10/24/16. 14 days...I had to wait 14 freaking days for a biopsy! I asked the scheduler if there was anything she could do, I could maybe go to a different office. She called me Monday the 17th. The Celebration Health office can see me on the 19th. I took it. I couldn't wait for the 24th. It felt like a century to wait. The anticipation was killing me.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Talk to your Obstetrician

Chemo Cycle 4